[VAL] spare tire on back bumper

O.k.  I'm new to the list and this is my first of probably many questions
concerning my new '56 Bubble.  My right rear bumper has a spare tire
carrier welded to it.  It's rather nicely designed.  Does anyone know if
this could be an original arrangement on the Bubble?  If not, I may have it
cut off.  But I rather like the idea of carrying my spare there.  Perhaps
lighten the load on the rear with an aluminum spare wheel?  What are the
pros and cons of carrying my spare there?

Gary Meeker      in Sacramento