[VAL] need a raise...

I have a '57 Caravanner that we think rolled at one
point in it's life.  I've had it for a couple of years
and am trying to sort out some issues with the axle
and tire size.

The wheels that came with it are 14.5 inches (can't
find a 3rd for a spare) and the trailer is very low.
I have tires on it now with an outside diameter of 26
3/4 inches.  I can't possibly go any larger; the tire
only has one inch clearance in the front of the wheel
well, 2 in back.

http://www.airstreamrestoration.com/closerlook/DSC00988.JPG
http://www.airstreamrestoration.com/closerlook/DSC00999.JPG

What I'd like to know is if it's possible to put
longer "straps" on the "springs" (using quotes because
I don't know proper names) and gain more height. I
only have maybe 3.5 to 4 inches clearance from the
bottom of the axle now.  More height would allow me a
15 inch wheel and a 28.1 inch diameter Marathon.

I've included a link to a photo to the part from a
most excellent site (don't have a camera).

http://www.vintageairstream.com/floyd/brakes/brakes,afterlink.jpg

So can I extend this "strap" 2 or 3 inches?  Or is
there a better way?

Scott