[VAL] Failed interior pop rivet

I've got a question for those that have seen the insides of more Airstreams
than I.

A friend has just purchased a 1962 26' Overlander and a surprising number
of the interior pop rivets are missing or the heads are coming off quite
easily.  The interior was original zolatoned and PO had painted over it at
least twice, so no telling what kind of paint they used, or primers they
may have applied.  My friend and I speculated that whatever they used, like
possibly an acid wash, it has caused some sort of corrosion affecting the
pop rivets.  In areas behind roof lockers, etc., that were still only
zolatone we didn't see any evidence of rivets failing.

Are we on the right track or should we be looking for something more
ominous? Like frame separation or something structural?  All exterior
rivets, seams, window joints all look OK and weathertight.  It's just the
interior panels where all the rivet heads are popping off.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated before we get too much
further into this project.

John Leggett WBCCI #1154
San Francisco