[VAL] Black tank Valve

I finally tested the valve on my black water tank last week and it
leaked. Okay, maybe that should have been the first thing I checked, but
it is time to face up to it. Surprizingly, it was easy to remove. The
former owner had a patch sheet metal screwed in place and with that
removed everything was easy to get to. The little spring clip the held
the T handle on came out with some twisting and then the T handle was
remove out of the little side hole on the side underbelly. The brass
valve body has two gray water inlets above the black water outlet. the
screws were easy to remove that held the valve to the tank. So there it
was... my greatest Airstream fear laid out in front of me, Black water
problems. The valve was easy to take apart and the problem very obvious.
The big O-ring was pinched and a bit gunked up. The brass sliding door
caught the O-ring when it was being pushed closed and that was that. The
gasket between the body halves was also leaking during to water test.
This is a thin square gasket. The third round gasket fit between the
tank and the valve itself.
I have read that rebuilt kits are no longer made and that these valves
are no longer available. It looks as if these gaskets can all be made up
and replaced by automotive type gasket material. Has anyone had success
or failure trying this? Is it new black tank and new plastic waste valve
time?  Maybe there is a Company that specializes in Airstream black
water tank and valve problems. I would name it "Airstream BadDreams".
Gary Campbell
Portland,  ME