[VAL] refrigerator removal

Hi Curtis,

Removing a refrigerator the first time may be the toughest. After that,
the job can be matter of fact and no big deal. But, I had one problem
that might interest you.

After I removed the screws and bolts in the floor and the screws along
the side wall, I thought I was ready to remove the refrigerator from
our '67 22' Safari. There was a rectangular sheet of aluminum (similar
to Gary Quamen's description) across the width in back of the
refrigerator under all the woodwork - where I couldn't see it.

What I didn't understand was how the sheet was secured to the woodwork.
There were no screws. Instead, it "seemed" to have been pressure
pressed into the base of the cabinet's woodwork. The aluminum sheet had
a 90 degree fold where it went down the wall and was connected to it
with screws. Those were the only screws I could find in the aluminum
sheet.

Writing about it takes a few minutes, but it took two days before I
suspected the other end of the sheet might be pressed tightly into the
woodwork beneath the countertop. During the countertop's 37 years, this
tight fit "seemed" to have become permanent (probably helped by spills
on the counter). After confirming no more screws along the side walls,
I took a calculated risk and muscled the refrigerator out from its wall
position. This really should be a two person job, but can be done by
one person with a lot of grunting.

Others have commented on the screws and bolts securing their
refrigerator to the floor. Mine had two screws, but one had broken off.
While the refrigerator was out, I drilled a new hole in the
refrigerator's frame for the replacement screw.  I also drilled a
starter hole for the screw in the wooden floor where I thought the
frame would sit (I measured carefully and prayed).

Also, I bought 2 new bolts, washers and nuts to use instead of the old
ones. They went in easily with a socket wrench - up from under the
belly pan. Lastly, the plastic plugs were inserted in the belly pan.

As an aside, while I was putting the refrigerator back in place, the
aluminum sheet didn't "fit" beneath the countertop where it had been
for 37 years. After several failed attempts, I placed a mirror on the
floor of the refrigerator compartment and adjusted it to shine light up
into the back of the refrigerator. I wanted to see what I was doing.
(Duhh)

Then, from inside the trailer, I could see along the side wall behind
the refrigerator - just enough of the aluminum sheet to estimate the
alignment zone I needed. That's all it took. The aluminum sheet slid
right in - slick as a whistle.

Before securing the refrigerator (trailer was 4 way level) to the
floor, I leveled the refrigerator's lower framework (where the gas
lines are located) with the floor by including a shim along one side.
No big deal, but this was the time for that minor correction.

Now the countertop over the refrigerator has the same effect on my
bubble level as it has inside the refrigerator and as it has on the
opposite kitchen counter. No more apples rolling off one counter but
not the other. Both counters are level.

By the time you read this, your refrigerator removal will probably be
all done. Maybe portions of this information will be useful to someone
else.

Terry