Re: [VAL] NO WATER!!!!

Hi Cheyanne,

I've had a bit of experience with replacing frozen copper water pipes in an
'74 Argosy.  I can tell you that the splits that you see are only the
beginning of problems.  Take the commode for instance.  Both the valve and a
reservoir in the commode are damaged by freezing as they are plastic.  The
water pump doesn't like to be frozen!  The pipes to the shower/tub are
especially prone to break from freezing.  I suspect that frozen gate valves
may shortened life.  Some poorly made sweat connections will leak/fail
completely.  And finally, much of the pipe will be swelled and replacement
is out of the question as nothing fits new copper pipe or sweat fittings.

You can tell from my experiences that frozen pipes are no small or
inexpensive repair in an Airstream.  I prefer a mix of PEX replacement pipes
and some Quest connectors.  Personally, I fill all lines with RV antifreeze
even though my lines are all PEX.  That pesky commode .  .  . Most likely, I
would walk from a purchase that had freeze damage unless it was a near
give-away - too much work.  BTW, I use a special adapter to connect to the
intake filter of the water pump to fill the system with RV antifreeze.  Just
a matter of opening and closing valves until the RV antifreeze pours
through.  This fills the traps and into the gray water holding tank.  The
black water tank is protected with the tank treatment chemicals.  Of course,
the potable water tank must be drained before disconnecting it from the
supply pump.

Without direct experience with a '77, my '69 and '74 had pressure limiter
and back flow restrictors in the water lines.  Either could be damaged by
freezing and might not open as designed.  Was the cap left off the shore
water connector such that mud dabbers filled the line with mud?  Or spider
web nests?

A lot more than you asked and understand that it's just my opinion and I'll
stick by it!

                                                Regards,  '69 Safari, Joy