Re: [VAL] another wood finish question

Scott, you need a real oil finish, not furniture polish. I don't know
who came up with the idea that wood needs to be fed, but it's hooey.

To protect the wood and make it easier to clean, you need some kind of
finish on it. I'm partial to an oil finish. It doesn't mind getting wet
and is easier to redo than a varnish , shellac or poly urethane finish,
which just sits on the top of the wood. An oiled finish penetrates the
wood and the top surface of it dries to a reasonably hard, but not very
shiny finish. I'm not a big fan of high gloss except on a car finish,
but that's personal.

Oak is very porous and has an aggressive grain. If you want a high
finish on it, you will have to use a lot of coats or a filler.

My Kitchen counters are all oak and were finished with tung oil. As Jim
Smith will probably point out, it is a bit smelly at first, but makes an
indestructible and flexible finish.

Go hunt up the Watco, it's what was put on there originally and will be
the easiest and best to fix it. You will need a fair amount of elbow
grease, but you will be pleased with how good it looks and authentic too !

Daisy