Re: [VAL] 1956 Caravanner Skin Care

Kevin,

If I'm reading your post correctly you are saying you want to *re-seal the
seams from the inside*.  You say you have the interior skin removed - you
are looking at the backside of the exterior skin and you want to re-seal
THOSE seams "from the inside"?

Why?  For what purpose?  Unless you expect a torrent of water between the
interior and exterior skins and you are concerned that this torrential flood
of water would actually leak from the inside to the outside I don't see your
point.  You are wasting your time and materials to accomplish nothing from
what I can tell from the way you worded your post.

Who cares if there isn't a continual bead of sealant that you can see on the
seams of the backside of the exterior skin?  What difference would it make
even if you did?

Seal all exterior seams with Vulkem.  Re-install your interior skin and do
not seal it at all - it never was meant to be sealed *because* it would
serve no purpose whatsoever if you did.  The interior skins overlap as they
were meant to for appearances sake and it also adds to the strength of the
trailer somewhat.  The exterior skin along with the stringers and ribs is
where 99% of your trailer's strength comes from - the semi-monocoque
construction.

Save your energies for the other projects the vintage trailers require - and
save your hard earned cash for other things you will need without wasting it
on sealer in places that would do absolutely no good.

That's just my humble opinion of course. ;))

Tom
WBCCI 5303