Re: [VAL] optima batteries - inteli-power - chargewiz

Ed,

Thank you for your response.  I purchased 2 of the Optima RV/Marine Deep
Cycle batteries from Advantage Auto.  There is a 3-year guarantee swap
battery for battery with no prorating involved.  I like that part.  I was
able to get 10% off their discounted price just by asking for a discount
*because* these were expensive batteries *and* I would be giving them my
business IF they could give me a better price - and they did.  Final cost
was about $135.00 for each battery including tax and trade-in for the old
battery cores.

Currently we have the original Magnatek (I think that's the name) converter
that came with our Airstream back in 1995.  From all I've read in my manuals
there is only an On/Off switch for this converter - there is no middle
ground for full charging or topping off the batteries or a float charge I
think they call it.  I like that part about the Inteli-Power Charge Wizard
from all I've read.

There IS a switch in the Airstream to "turn off the buzz" made by the
original converter.  Seems that this was added by the factory due to
complaints by owners.  Wonder how many "forget" to turn the converter back
on again?   Bet that's happened! ;))

A good thing that Airstream added that our 1969 model does not have and that
is a switch to turn OFF the house batteries - both of them.  This is done
for long storage situations it says in the manual so that the batteries
don't get completely depleted which IS bad for any deep cycle battery from
what I've read.

Also, the On/Off switch for the house batteries makes it much safer to
remove the batteries from the Airstream without fear of shorting out one of
the terminals - and that also happens - which is dangerous to say the least.

I will look into your referenced sources for this next large purchase.

Tom
WBCCI 5303