Re: [VAL] 69 axles a problem?

Hmmm,  I think you need to do a bit more reading! :)

The shock is indeed horizontal mounted to the axle plate welded to the frame
and the other end mounts to a bracket on the torsion arm.  It's a whole
subject to get it out and replace it due to impossibly close tolerances.
However, the shock is necessary as it dampens vibrations that damage the
monocoque and other components.  What frequencies?  Don't know which is
worse, the high or low frequencies.  Some say it's not needed as the torsion
axle is somewhat self dampening?  You can remove and check the condition of
the shock as you would for an auto.  It should have considerable resistance
to changing position.  If it can be moved with a little or no resistance, it
must be replaced.  Best option is to replace the shock.  Doubt that any
shock is expected to last for 40 years.Finding replacements is the subject
of many past posts.  Think it's something like a 60s chevy truck shock
available at Napa.  Think it's a matter of finding the right working length
and diameter.

The condition of the axle is a different matter.  The torsion arm should be
parallel to the frame or better yet, have a 5 degree down angle.  If the
angle is up, the axle is shot.  There's a limiter in the upward movement of
the torsion arm.  If this continually hits the stop, it can damage the
monocoque of the Airstream and other accessories.  Some restorers try
jumping up and down at the rear of the trailer and having another observer
determine the range of movement of the torsion arm?  Also, keep in mind that
the single axle has a lot of bouncing down the road as compared to a tandem
axle.  Bad axles and shocks keep stuff inside the trailer bouncing all over
the place.  Ask me, I'll tell you why things need to be tied down!

To my knowledge, Andy was an insurance investigator and did trouble shooting
and diagnostic service for Airstream for many years???  When something
seemed to go wrong, Andy determined the cause and recommended construction
changes to resolve the problems.  After that, I presume he went to work for
Inland RV in Southern California.  Inland RV maintains a collection of
impossible to replace parts for vintage airstreams.  There are other
sources, but Andy is  likely the most knowledgeable about Airstream
restoration and the availability of parts.  After all, it seems that he's
spent most of his life working with Airstream travel trailers.  Andy has
cornered the market on molds, specialized parts, and other impossible to get
parts.  Inland's corner on the vintage Airstream Henchen axles is just one
example.   The Henchen axle is costly, but Andy has the expertise to supply
an exact duplicate of the OEM axle for any vintage Airstream.  Besides,
Inland RV is the only authorized supplier of vintage Henchen axles -
something like all axles over 25 years old.  All younger axle replacements
must be through an Airstream dealer.

Most likely you already have an axle problem, check it and see.

You might take a look at the Inland RV website and learn a lot!

Most likely I've confused you, but that's the way I am and the information,
regardless of its accuracy, is only of value if it helps you start think
along the proper track.

                                                                      '69
Safari, Joy