Re: [VAL] Surfing Safari 1969

Hi Chris and Monica,

I've been at a '69 Safari 23 for a couple of years now and have done a lot
of stuff.  I'm in the process of putting the furniture back into the unit.
Many pieces will have to be replaced and I'll use the existing for patterns.
I think you are right about not being able to match the original '69
material.  Nor, do I think you really want to as it was pretty poor quality
stuff.

Hopefully, your running gear, etc. is OK.  Is it a tandem or single axle?
According to Andy at Inland RV, '69 was a transition year for torsion axles.
Early '69 will deteriorate (as mine did) and later will last forever if not
abused.  Mine had the 5 degree up without full load, so I'm now replacing
the axle with a modern Dexter rated 10% higher in weight, larger drums and
oval brake magnets along with a parking brake.  I'll try to have my axle
mounted later this summer and can fill you in on my progress if you would
like.

Don't know where you bought your unit, but if it's in a humid area like NC,
FL, or CA, it likely has substantial deteriorated floor.  It's typical for
the water to run from the top of the bumper hatch lid into the floor across
the entire rear and rot the floor out.  Very difficult to see, but  you can
reach up between the cross brace and the holding tank housing  to feel the
areas  you can't see from the accessory hatch.  Typically, all this stuff is
hidden by the plumbing and the battery mount.

I had to remove the entire interior to get at all damaged floor, make new
interior wheel well covers, replace the plumbing with PEX, replace the water
heater, replace the holding tank cover, weld on new skid rails, new cross
brace under the rear monocoque, new mounting tabs for the holding tank
braces, new bumper hatch lid jam, new converter (Intellipower with charge
wizard), new propane tanks, etc., etc. .  .  .  Still a lot to do/go.  The
PEX was to get around the lead solder in the copper plumbing.  I get enough
lead from my Cowboy Action Shooting and reloading.

So, I bought a trashed '74 Argosy rear entry (didn't have enough learning
from the Safari) to get me camping while I finish the Safari.
Unfortunately, the effort I put into getting the Argosy road ready, could
have finished the Safari.  However, I'm in love with the tandem axles.  I'm
sure there will be several more SOB travel trailers in my future before the
Safari is finished.  Most likely just to show off at VAC events! :)  The '02
Ford super duty crew cab power stroke diesel 4X4 is my puller and a Hensley
is the go between.  Really over kill for a 23 foot, but in my senior
moments, I dream of a 27 footer.

Possibly you were lucky and someone else already did the difficult task of
replacing the floor, the holding tank housing, the holding tank braces, and
other typical restorations or you bought a unit that lived only in the high
deserts and was properly winterized.

My unit came out of Dade, FL and must have been submerged several times.
Being new to Airstream and eager, I bought without real knowledge of what I
was getting into.  Yes, I did learn a lot from the list, but mostly from
personal experience and a mentor Harvey Barlow.  Can't tell you how much he
kept me encouraged to continue the restoration when things seemed
impossible.   We had a constant flow of digital camera images to help
understand what the problem was and how to fix it!

A service manual is available that illustrates lots of stuff (not the
owner's manual) from Secretarial Services for about $70. Not a great photo
copy, but it do get the job done.   Don't recall the specific address, but
the service manual is the bible you will need.  The list provides all the
information you'll need to get the jobs done.  Just ask and you'll get a
dozen answers.  Just remember that each restorer has gained specific
knowledge and it may not apply to your model or situation.

So, I'm around listening to your successes and will apply them to my
restoration.  Who knows,  you may be the one restorer who gets my unit on
the road! :)  Naw, too many on the list have helped me for the past several
years to get a lot of near impossible projects completed.

Good luck with your baby!

                                                        '69 Safari, Joy

                                                         Scottsburg, VA