Re: [VAL] 72 Globetrotter

Greetings John!

According to the Airstream Weights and Measures page:
http://www.airstream.com/airstream/product_line/customer_service/docs/weights-1.pdf ,
your Globetrotter has an empty weight (without options, fluids, or personal
possessions) of  3,380 pounds and an empty hitch weight of 420 pounds.  When
fully loaded for a trip, you will likely approach if not be slightly more
than 4,250 pounds with a hitch weight approaching 625 pounds.

I have little knowledge of Ford products, but would suggest that you will
want to look at tow vehicles having a trailer tow rating of at least 5, 300
pounds (4,250 X 1.25 = 5,313).  A tow vehicle that is loaded to less than
its rated capacity will provide a far less taxing trailer towing experience,
and in my experience will be far less costly to maintain.  I have actually
spent less (not including regular oil changes and lube jobs) maintaining my
'99 K2500 Suburban tow vehicle for 124,000 miles than I did with my previous
'95 K1500 Z-71 for 45,000 miles - - the K1500 had the 5.7 Liter with 3.73
differentials (6,500 pound trailer tow rating) while the K2500 has the 7400
VORTEC with 4.10 differentials (10,000 pound trailer tow rating) - - both
were used primarily for towing my '64 Overlander (6,100 pounds Gross
Weight).

Good luck with your search for the ideal tow vehicle!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.10
Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter
V8/2.70 Final Drive)