RE: [VAL] battery placement

Greetings Dan!

After reading the responses to your post and re-reading your post, I had
a thought that might be workable.  Since you aren't going to be carrying
the twin LP tanks on the tongue, it should be possible to have a
competent welder construct a rack that could accommodate four deep-cycle
batteries in the space normally occupied by the LP tanks.  This
arrangement should only be marginally heavier than two 30 pound LP tanks
when full.  This would allow you to achieve your goal of four batteries
while eliminating the rear-mounted battery that tends to take quite a
beating (I had my rear-mounted battery moved forward in my Overlander as
it seemed like it never lasted more than two seasons in that location).
You would still need the heavy cable to link the front mounted batteries
to the rear-mounted 12-volt supply.

While the fumes from LP appliances don't cause me problems, I do not
like LP appliances so have equipped my Overlander to minimize their use.
I have three GEL Cell deep-cycle batteries (purchased from AJL Solar)
that serve the coach along with two 75-Watt and once 50-Watt solar
panels as well as the charge control device recommended by AJL Solar.
When off-grid, I always run my Dometic 3-Way RV Refrigerator on 12-volt;
and when in a campground I switch to 120-Volt AC.  My goals were a bit
different from yours, so I do have the other typical LP appliances that
are used  sparingly when needed.

Generally, I have been quite well-satisfied with the set-up installed by
AJL Solar.  I have never fully-depleted the battery bank even when
off-grid for as many as three nights.  This included running my 9"
television and satellite system for approximately 6 hours each day as
well as the refrigerator and Fantastic Vents (2) on 12-volt.

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359