[VAL] Re: VAL Digest V1 #171 - Diesel Suburban

Anytime you work a machine heavily you will shorten its life as compared
to using it in light duty service. To get the best life in heavy service
step up the maintenance schedule to "severe duty." This is usually
something like oil & filter change every 3000 mi, transmission filter
(automatic) & fluid change, differential oil change, every 25,000 mi or
more often. Synthetics may offer superior performance too. If a synthetic
reduces friction it will reduce heating and fuel consumption while
increasing life of the machinery.
Universal joints will not last as long when used in heavy service. If
they have grease fittings or plugs, grease them frequently.
If anything starts getting loose, fix it at once, such as the pinion gear
shaft in the rear axle (front axles on most 4 x 4s do not get much use).
The pinion bearings got loose on my Ford 1/2T van. All I had to do was
lock the rear axle (parking brake), drop the rear Ujoint, and tighten the
yoke nut on the pinion shaft to the spec, taking care by tightening it a
little at a time in case the crush washer was already crushed too much.
The pinion gear has a little play and should be just slightly stiff to
turn with the hand. Of course the proper thing to do is to have the rear
axle re-set up by a shop, but we often can get away with
do-it-yourselfing. :-)
Al