RE: [VAL] Towing with a 98 6.5 diesel K2500 Suburban

Greetings Chris!

While I haven't had experience with diesel equipped tow vehicles, I have
had several GM tow vehicles - - each with the heavy duty factory tow
package.  I finally learned my lesson with my most recent acquisition,
the '99 Suburban which was ordered with a trailer tow package that was
rated significantly higher than the Gross Weight of my Overlander (6,100
pounds).  My previous GM tow vehicles had trailer tow ratings of 6,500
pounds ('95 Chevrolet K1500 Z-71 pickup) and 6,500 pounds ('83 G20 GMC
Vandura) - - I am now convinced that GM is quite optimistic with their
trailer tow ratings - - the '83 Vandura simply couldn't handle the
Overlander under any circumstances; and mountains were out of the
question with the '95 K1500 Z-71.  When I ordered my '99 GMC K2500
Suburban, I insisted on a minimum trailer tow rating of 8,000 pounds to
insure that there would be adequate power/performance for the mountains.

Given my experiences with GM trailer tow ratings, I would be very wary
of getting much closer than 80% of the factory trailer tow rating to
insure adequate performance.  I will admit to be a bit demanding of my
tow vehicle - - I can't tolerate the situation that my '95 Z-71
presented - - just barely 20 MPH at full throttle in low gear when
passing through the Eisenhower tunnel on I-70 - - with the Suburban this
same route was 55 MPH in 3rd.

Good luck with your rig!

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.10
Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet
1975 Cadillac Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
WBCCI/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359