[VAL] Re: VAL Digest V1 #165 - Rodent damage to wire

Chris,
Certainly it's better to replace old wire, especially rodent chewed. The
romex is supposed to be properly fastened in place, which requires
opening up the walls in several places.
I wrote that "mouse-chewed wire won't usually catch fire" because most
owners aren't willing to go to the work of replacing wire.
Ordinary romex solid copper wire is what is usually used in travel
trailers and motor homes for the 120V or 240V AC wiring even though it
would be better to use stranded wire in a vehicle. Solid wire seems to do
well enough. The AC power is used only when the trailer/MH is stationary
but it is subject to vibration when the vehicle is moving. I haven't
encountered a single taped wire nut in any TT I have worked on even
though wrapping with tape in the direction of tightening is the proper
thing to do to wire nuts. The only electrical tape has been on slap-dash
splices.
Soldered wire connections should not be used in a vehicle.
Al