RE: [VAL] Back on Topic - Mirrors

Greetings Bill!

I have my '75 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible setup for towing, and have
McKesh Mirrors that are the same Vintage as my Minuet.  You will most
likely find as I did that the brackets on your McKesh Mirrors won't
allow firm enough attachment on the front fenders (the fender mounting
method didn't work for my Cadillac nor the Suburban) - - I have found
that mine work best when mounted on the door as close to the regular
rearview mirrors as possible.  This mounting position works at least as
well as the factory towing mirrors that I had on my GMC Van as well as
those that were on my Chevrolet pickup.

If your McKesh Mirrors haven't been used for awhile, you might want to
consider ordering a set of new straps and a pad kit that will replace
the components that touch the car's finish - - I did this with both sets
of my McKesh Mirrors (I have two sets - - Vintage Chrome McKesh Mirrors
for the Cadillac and Charcoal Powder Coated McKesh Mirrors for the
Suburban) - - the parts kits are quite reasonable direct from the
manufacturer.

You can see a photo of my Cadillac with the Overlander and its set of
McKesh Mirrors at:

http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2848&password=
&sort=1&cat=998&page=2

I contacted Hensley Manufacturing for the parts kit via their web site
at:

http://www.hensleymfg.com/mckeshmirrors.html

Since the photo was take, I have added the convex spotting mirrors to
both sets of my McKesh Mirrors - - they really make towing with the car
feel much more secure.

Here are the links to the Hitch Spotter HookUp Mirror that I use with
both my Suburban and Cadillac - - It mounts magnetically to the
trailer's hitch:

http://www.trailer-hitch.com/hspotter.jeo?refid=17

If I only had one trailer, I would purchase the OneShot mirror at the
link below.  It has a much better view and is less likely to be impacted
by wind and other weather conditions while hooking up since it is
permanently mounted to the hitch with a clamp mechanism:

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog.asp?P=4016

Good luck with your towing setup!

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.10
Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
WBCCI/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359