[VAL] Re: VAL Digest V1 #138 / Grounded to Frame, GFI's

Al I have over the years seen the jumper wire on the back or side of older
receptacles and never had a clue what it was for. thanks for the explanation.

I have thought for a while that if every outlet recepticle was a GFI then
alot of our trailer grounding (and old-house two wire) problems could be
eliminated.
Then I learned that it was not necessary to place a GFI in every outlet box,
but just in the lead (or first/from supply panel box of each circuit). And
each following outlet on each circuit would be equally(within micro seconds)
protected.
If cost is not a consideration would it make sense to place one at each
outlet? Would there be any downside of doing that?
I have installed a few and know that they MUST be installed exactly right.

Do you and/or Dr.GJ agree that the GFIs would solve most grounding problems?
including eliminating need in your house example to replace 2wire with 3wire
romex?

Then I heard that GFIs are notoriously "trip-happy"and that one should not be
used that would chance tripping the outlet where Refrigerator or Freezer is
located not even where computer is connected. Could you comment please.
There is also a rumor that humidity can cause tripping. This doesn't figure
since these GFIs are supposed to be in all Bathrooms.
Any reason for placing a GFI on the AirConditioner circuit in the trailer?