[VAL] National parks - size limits? etc.

Hi Chris,

We have spent a fair bit of time in national parks (115 of them so far) and
one thing I've learned is to ignore the posted size limits. Granted, I'm in
my element when it comes to doing the slow waltz of backing out from dead
ends, but I can count those occasions on the fingers of one hand.

The Airstream we use for visiting National Parks is the same size as yours.
My suggestion: Go for it and be adaptable as needed. When our kids were the
age of yours, they had fun figuring out unexpected problems - whether the
solutions were successful or not quite what we planned.  The lesson they
learned was to be decisive and deal with the circumstances in an upbeat way
without whining and complaining. I believe that was worthwhile.

As an aside, I carry the names and address of of all Airstream dealerships
in the USA.  Regardless of whether we're towing one of our Vintage
Airstreams or our more modern Airstream, service is a consideration.

As for reservations, I try to use common sense. Peak season - yes, otherwise
we go where we want to go, unless we're on the edge of peak season and want
to stay at one of the most popular parks. In that case, I call first and get
a line on our chances.

During peak season, we found lesser known national parks weren't crowded.
Playing it by ear with plenty of discussions taught valuable lessons
regardless of our children's ages. It was school vacation for them but
learning to deal with various variables for making decisions was always in
session.

Obviously, reservations can be made by phone or internet. We use both but
only occasionally. A few experiences with National Park CGs and a couple of
faux pas experiences made for quick learning.

We've even arrived after hours and stayed in the parking lot until the next
morning. It helped us to have a laid back attitude and not be easily bent
out of shape by unexpected (or expected) inconveniences.  And yes, having
solar panels is a decided advantage if "winging-it" is comfortable for you
(being a tenter, that's probably the case).

As a general style, we decide the same day where we'll stay that night --
AND AT ALL TIMES, we have options three deep. Yes, we use Flying J and Pilot
truck stops when trying to make time and need a safe place before rolling
again, but there are literally hundreds of places to stay that are not
always called campgrounds, but which are safe and clean for overnight (or
longer).

If you haven't picked up the computer disc (or printed copy) of "Day's End"
locations around the country from the Escapees RV Club (found in their
magazine column called "Days End"), I suggest you do that. It lists
thousands of places not published in any of the thick directories. This
should be on your New Year's Resolutions list of things to buy. Many of
these places can be found enroute to National Parks. We have contributed to
the list and have used the list extensively ourselves.

While at it, visit Camping World and buy ($20) the US Army Corps of
Engineers directory. There are 900+ campgrounds available to any citizen.
We've visited only a third of them but have found them among the finest and
most spacious campgrounds in the country.  We've found when there are
several in one geographic area, one of them is often primitive and free.

If you belong to a fraternity (Moose, Rotary, etc), keep your membership
current and use their camping priviledges.  For example, the Elks have
regional directories (Elkdom Guides). We stop at Elk Lodges all over the
country. There is immediate camaraderie and solid referrals for any unique
local services we may need, i.e. mechanical, health, money, etc..

Sorry about the delay in replying. For the last month and the next few
months, picking up email was/will be intermittent and reading it will be
even slower. As you can see from the date on your question, this reply is
from the December digest.  That means you've probably received answers to
your questions. If so, my apologies for the redundancy.

Currently, we're in New Orleans visiting our son, daughter-in-law and two
grand daughters. Have to keep our priorities straight.  Reading email is fun
but our grand children are delightful.

Our son is still flying for Uncle Sam (protecting POTUS) and loving his job.
Every time the New Orleans F-15s are scrambled, the roar of 30,000 pounds of
thrust tells us he'll be away from his desk. Sometimes we see him and a
co-worker leave and streak through the clouds (straight up) on their way to
an "unscheduled meeting" (with full armament).

Back to your question. I thought of another campground option you might
consider (someday). A few states (Louisiana is one) honor the Golden Age
Passport 50% discount (age 62+) at their campgrounds. In New Orleans (NOLA),
we're staying at Bayou Signette State Park CG for $6 a night with water and
30 amp electric - on a macadam site with picnic table, fire ring, a modern
laundry room nearby, showers, dump station, playground, trash pickup and the
usual security staff so common in southeastern states.  That's economical.

Fresh seafood right off the boat is sold daily outside the campground gate.
Today (01/11/04), I bought four and a half pounds of Jumbo Shrimp for $15.
The NOLA Aquarium and Zoo are among the most outstanding anywhere in the
country. NOLA Health services (West Jefferson Hospital) have been sampled by
us (bronchitis) and found to be exceptionally competent and efficient.  Our
New York Health Insurance cards work like a charm.

Daytime temperatures have ranged from the 60s to balmy70s. Night temps have
been in the 40s with occasional frost (30s) south of Lake Pontchartrain. For
all practical purposes, we think of NOLA Winter weather as a random
combination of early Spring and late Fall in Upstate New York.

Sugar Bowl weekend (football) just ended and the Louisiana State University
crowds (no vacancies anywhere) had a grand time. Their parties in the
campground had the place rocking. This week, King Cakes are the rage in
town. We needed a history lesson on them.

Next month, Marti Gras parades begin (13 February) with Marti Gras
officially beginning on 24 February (Fat Tuesday). As Northeasteners, we're
having a fine time in New Orleans. Cafe` Du Monde` (coffee and beignets) in
the French Quarter continue to be a favorite. Snowbirding is a tough life.

Terry
ADK-46R