[VAL] Achilles Heel of EU 2000 Generator?

Hi all,

I recently purchased the Honda genarator, and really loved it, for two tanks
of gas.  I was running Christmas lights with it on the second tank of gas
and shut it down around around 9 PM.  A heavy fog rolled down the river, and
the snow began falling, but the generator was in a shed.  The temps dropped
from low 40's to 20's.  The next night I went to start it and something
broke.  Honda was great and fixed it under waranty.  They said the intake
valve stuck, and the rocker arm cracked.  Now they would not venture further
into what may have happened.  I may have prevented the problem by not
pulling so hard on the rope, but that's just me.  Next time I will make sure
it turns easy.

I have been using the same gas in the ATV's, and could find no water in the
gas.  My load on the generator was about 50%.  The unit was fresh from the
factory, and I did check the oil level when I recieved it.  The octane of
the gas was 86 as Honda recomends.  There was no pinging.

This generator purrs like a kitten, and service from Honda is really great
here.  I would buy again, but has anyone an idea of what may have created
this problem?  I suspect the fog, but it is a long way from the air intake
to the intake valve.

Honda had this generator fixed very fast, but winter storms hit some of the
worst roads we have in Montana, and I just got it back the other day.  Works
fine now.

Comments are appreciated...

JimW