Re: [VAL] 63 Tradewind

Brad,

OK then, sounds like you do have a plug style door unlike the newer
motorhomes that have that cheap, tinny cover which us usually white in
color.

See that roof vent?  What you need to do is to remove the top cover of the
roof vent and then underneath you will see a raised oval that comes up from
the skin and it will be covered with screening.  You will also see that you
can attach a metal strap across that oval opening.  In fact, install two of
them

Between these two metal straps you need to mount a computer fan, they draw
about .15amps at 12 volts DC.  Or maybe even less.  The outflow of the fan
should be "up", or up and out that roof vent.  This is very important that
the flow goes up from the bottom of that area, over the coils on the back of
the fridge and then out the chimney vent on the roof.

For the plug door you will need to cut out an area.  What I used was an
airconditioning ceiling register that I could manually open and close.  I
needed this so that I could control the air flow into the area behind the
fridge which then would be pulled up and out the chimney vent by the
computer fan.  Did I mention that after you mount the fan you need to
reinstall that cover over the chimney?  You do, but you knew that! ;))

The hole you cut out of the plug door needs to be SMALLER than the outside
dimension of the ceiling register.  The ceiling register will have a border,
or a lip, that you will securely attach to the exterior of the plug door
with aluminum screws or stainless screws, these would just be sheetmetal
screws, nothing fancy.

You will also want to put a bead of sealer all around that ceiling register
BEFORE you put the border of screws or other fasteners on the door itself.

What I also did - I dismantled the celing register by drilling out all the
blind rivets.  Then I cut some screening to size so that it would overlap
and those edges of the screen would be picked up by the fasteners when I
reinstalled the rivets.  What you are doing here is providing a barrier to
bugs while the vent is either open or closed the same as the top of the
chimney has as does the floor vent.  You have to make sure though that when
you reinstall the blind rivets that they don't interfere with the louver
operation.  I installed mine so that when the lever was down, the register
was closed.  All the louvers also angled downward so rain water wouldn't
collect on that area.

When you do the overhead computer fan you will need to drop down some 18ga
wires from the + and - sides of the computer fan.  Make sure you have the
outflow of the fan going UPwards because IF you wire this fan 'backwards' it
will PULL air down into the chimney which is NOT what you want to do.

On the interior wood wall I drilled a hole large enough for an LED
powerswitch.  Once it was all hooked up I could SAFELY run the fridge
without the wall getting hot.  And, I could then pull down the temp inside
the fridge in about 2 hours with LP.  In about 3 hours I was making ICE.

Does this help?

Tom
WBCCI 5303