Re: [VAL] tire skids

I doubt that these skids will reduce damage to the aluminum from a blown
tire as I think that this damage would be from the tire parts hitting the
trailer and I don't see how skids would change that. While some people swear
that the skids saved their trailer, others have experienced blow outs on
single axle trailers without the skids and the trailer still behaved
admirably. So I would surmize that the skids are more a personal preference
item. What seems most prudent to me is to be sure that your tires are rated
to carry the load, that they are properly inflated and that they are no more
than 5 to 7 years old without any signs of dry rot. Also be sure to check
them at each stop. A hand on each tire will tell you quickly if one is
getting hot.

Scott