Re: [VAL] tires

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you in regards to running the E sized
tires at D tire size air pressures.  I thought I could do this as well
before I actually did it and found out that it was not a good idea after
all.

I figured that since I had run D sized tires in the past at 60 or 65 psi I
could do the same on the E sized tires that I installed.  Wrong.  The max
tire pressure for the Es is about 80 psi and the max tire pressure for the
Ds was about 65 or 70 psi.  I thought that the E tires were a bit "stiff" so
I only put in about 65 psi of tire pressure.

Well, the truck rode better as in not as rough over bumps in NYC.  That was
when I first started out.  After about 30 miles or so I thought that this
wasn't going to work *because now the truck felt like it was riding with max
tire pressure* even though I knew that was not the case.

To make a long story short that *was the case*, now.  The flexing of the
lower tire pressure in the Es had caused heat build-up and NOW the pressure
was over 75 psi.  The tires were warm to the touch also.  I let the tires
rest for an hour or so before putting in more "cool" air.  First I lowered
the Es back to what I started at, 60 or 65 psi, let them cool down a bit and
then added cool air and took them up to 75 psi.  After doing this the tires
stayed cool to the touch even while towing our 34' Airstream.

I would not advise anyone to run Es using D pressures as a guide.  Worst
case scenario would have been tire separation or worse that I don't even
want to think about.

Tom
WBCCI 5303