Re: [VAL] Anyone out there? and AC installation

    Colin, Gerald, Gary, Chris, Kevin, Blair and all,

    Thank you all for taking the time to lead me by the hand through all the
thinking on the subject.  As usual, I wasn't clear as to how my Caravel is
fitted and the purpose I intend it for.

    I based some of my assumptions on the FAQ section of the Vintage
Airstream Club about air conditioners here:
http://www.airstream.net/FAQ/FAQ_12.html.
You can see that they address many of the initial questions I had except for
the exact placement of the unit.

    From what they say, the wiring, pan and condensate tubes are already
there for the Coleman unit.  I have four AC breakers, only two of which seem
to do anything so maybe the wiring really is there.

    Gerald,  I tend to agree with you as to the aesthetics and windage issue
but this Caravel is going to be the prettiest on my block that's relegated
to a lifetime of sitting on jacks in the back of the property.  My wife
wants it for a retreat and we will also have it double as an overflow for
when family and friends stay with us.  We've had other trailers in the past
and the kids love sleeping out there.

    Gary, thanks for the link to RJ's site.  It clearly shows the AC unit
aft of the one and only vent in the Caravel (sorry not have stated the vent
count and location in my first post) at:
http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives/69Caravel/69Caravel.html

    The vent is way forward of the installed unit that can be seen outside
in the first image and inside in images 9, 10 and 11.  The cross bar for the
accordion door is a hint as to where it should approximately go.  The camera
position in those last three images is approximately under the single
overhead vent.

    Blair, I should have thought to contact Airstream directly and I'm
grateful for the suggestion.  For some reason I was under the impression
that Airstream was not used owner friendly.  I'll phone them tonight as soon
as I send this out to you all.

    Thanks again to you all,

    Glyn
    1969 Caravel #508
    Santa Monica CA
    Hers:  Puny 1992 Toyota Celica, 4 cyl.
    His:  Somewhat puny 1995 Camry wagon, V-6
    Tow vehicle:  No plans