[VAL] Re: bike racks

Perhaps bumper load-induced frame separation is a
myth.  However, I definitely had frame separation on
my 68.  Some of this was rot induced, as RJ suggested.
 However, on the other side, the rather sparse
hardware had pulled right through the aluminum
channel.  It's hard to know if this happenned before
or after the rot set in on the other side.  Certainly,
the stresses on the sound side would have increased as
the other side rotted and gave way.  But, the hardware
was definitely a little minimal by my tastes.

I feel pretty confident about the frame/body
connection now. The new plywood is sealed with epoxy,
the channel is reinforced with aluminum angle and the
rear is properly sealed against the weather.  But, I
would still caution against putting much load on the
original design.  Just my opinion, though.

Jon in SC
68 Overkill