[VAL] Re: VAL Digest V1 #94 - Towing two trailers?

Towing a trailer behind a trailer is illegal in a number of states, such
as Oregon. According to Oregon DMV, that it is legal in your home state
does not allow you to tow two trailers in Oregon.
While we were staying in Montana I read of a terrible crash just a few
miles from us involving a boat towed behind a travel trailer and pickup.
Seems the pickup driver was trying to pass a slow moving vehicle. The
boat trailer wheel dropped off the pavement and got hung. This, of
course, pulled the tail of the TT to that side. When the boat trailer
wheel came loose from the edge of the pavement, it lurched across the
road, whipping the tail of the TT across to the other side. The whole rig
went off the road, overturning the PU and killing the driver and his
wife. Mother in law survived.
Just watching the "double-bottom" and "triple-bottom" trucks swaying, or
veering if you please, all over the road makes me leery of towing a
second trailer behind a TT, even a 5th wheel. After all, those trucks are
5th-wheelers and have almost no rear overhang, unlike our
"teeter-trailer" travel trailers which have a LOT of rear overhang. The
5th wheel TTs also have a lot of rear overhang.
We were almost hit by double bottom trucks twice on our recent 1,000 mile
trip, and once on our previous 1,000+ mile trip. I shudder to think of
dodging double and triple bottom trucks with my own two trailers swaying
all over the place behind me.
Al Grayson