[VAL] Under Belly Wiring

Wiring seems to be a hot topic these days, so let me tell you what I
found when I removed the belly skin on the 67 TW.  First, a PO had been
there before - all the insulation was gone.  Wiring for brakes, running
lights, and tail lights is routed through holes in the frame.  The
plastic grommet in one was missing.  The brake light wires were cut
through at that point.  This is why I had to run wires through the
trailer for these circuits before hitting the road.  Three inches of
insulation was worn through on the battery charge wire from the tow
vehicle.  All of the break wires were tied together with wire nuts at a
central location.  The plastic is worn off the nuts where they rested on
the belly skin.  I will redo all of this wiring.

It's not clear why shorts had not disabled the charge or break circuits,
but the possibility was there.  I don't know if these problems were
caused by a PO or 36 years of age, but I'm glad I found them before they
materialized on the road.  This kind of thing leads to intermittent and
very hard to troubleshoot electrical problems.  Lets hope they are not
lurking in you're A/S too.

Best Regards,
   Jim