[VAL] guess your hitch weight

Some posts a few weeks back finally motivated me to
measure my hitch weight.  If you've ever believed the
numbers in the manual, this post is for you.

Estimated hitch weight (in Owner's Manual) 450 lbs.
Actual hitch weight 690 lbs.

There was no fresh water in the tank, only about 30lbs
of LPG, and relatively little stored inside.  As an
experiment, I had my wife stand as far forward as the
entry door and as far back as the bathroom door.  As
expected, the load variation at the hitch was much
less than her weight (notice that I don't mention
actual numbers here...), owing to the relative
distances from the wheels.  So, it would take a lot of
heavy stuff in the bathroom to get the hitchweight
down to 450lbs.  I suspect that you would be risking
frame separation if you actually balanced it out that
way.

Jon in SC
68 Overlander