[VAL] 1961 Tradewind

Hi Ruth!

I am so excited to hear that you also have a 1961 model as well!  We got a
1961 Safari last August--and we're fairly close by, in Vienna, VA, so I think
we're going to have to get together!

I have also seen tent style awnings for sale online--and very cheap.  I'll
have to check my links and email you it later.  I think the attraction of the
zip-dee ones is that they are easier to set up and store--they are spring loaded
and self-retractable.  OTOH, tent ones must be stored inside, so set up
involves attaching them, setting up the poles, staking etc.  Not bad--and certainly
much cheaper--but lots of folks don't like the bother, especially on hot days
where the awnings are almost necessities (to stop the sun from coming in
through the windows). But darn, those zipdees cost a minor fortune (as I recall,
the tent-style one was about $200).

I am also trying to deal with the shower curtain issue.  I think this
particular shower curtain configuration may be unique to a very short release of
models (perhaps only 1961s), because I have asked around for a similar question
and nobody could effectively address it.  What I did find out is that generic rv
shops do sell curtain tracks that can be bent to fit, though perhaps with
difficulty.  These are fairly inexpensive, though I don't know if they will work
effectively.  Our track is still in decent shape, it just doesn't have any
sliders in it--and I can't find any sliders that work with it.  One of my more
creatively oriented girlfriends recently had what may be a genius idea that I
haven't tested--taking plastic modeling clay (like fimo--the stuff you shape,
then bake in the oven) and shaping custom sliders.  So, I'm going to try to do
that first.

As for the couch vs. dinette option, as a "DINK" (double income no kids)
couple with few extra sleeping requirements, we considered also making a
conversion, too.  However, after speaking with lots of RV owners, the one thing we kept
on hearing was that a couch was more convenient--that dinettes are difficult
to get in and out of, that a couch is easier for entertaining.  So, I found
some retro looking tv trays at the Container Store and we'd figure we'd try
living with the couch configuration for a while. During the hurricane, we ended up
pretty much living out of our toaster--and we ended up figuring that it
wasn't worth the bother to change (plus it gives us more space stow the nephews
when we drag them along).  That said, I have seen pretty decent online
instructions for cutting the couch up into a dinette setup.  You end up sacrificing a
bit of floor space and the result is a twin instead of double bed, but the
results look really nice:  http://www.insideout-design.net/maxwell/
(click "during" then "dinette").

I'm having a fun time trying to return the unit to a kind of fantasy version
of its original appearance.  I've been scouring events like the Big Flea and
online for Ike era (or maybe early Richard Nixon age!) kitch--very fun!

We recently bought new foam, because the old ones were originals--smelly and
crumbling apart.  That was quite expensive too!  Now I'm making covers, which
is easy but very tedious.  After hearing about the great construction values
of airstreams, I was rather shocked to see how poorly the original cushion
covers were made.  Pattern cutting was exceptionally amateurish, the pieces were
sloppily stapled (one glued with contact cement, argh) to the wood base instead
of sewn (so the covers could never be removed and cleaned).  I'm making mine
from turquoise canvas (bought from the $2.88 table at G Street Fabrics!) with
pockets for the wood pieces, welts, zippers and buttons to attach the
connected cushions (so you can remove them without having two connected cushions.  To
those who painstakingly unpiece their covers, I say don't bother.  It's easier
to make a new pattern by laying the new foam on yardage, tracing it with a
fabric marker, then cutting it out (leaving extra space for seam allowance, of
course).  Maybe if I get the hang of web design, I'll make a tutorial, since
it's so darn easy.  Again, it's exceptionally tedious work, but it should keep
me busy through the winter!  The nice thing is that I know the result will be
better than what was there in the first place.

Well, better get myself to work, so bye for now!

Mary Dotson
1961 Safari