[VAL] The cost of Desire

I have been following the questions posed by Chris Tognetti and his
queries about
weather or not to take the next step and actually undertake this
restoration. It sounds like you are getting some good advice on the
costs envolved from other members. I have read numbers around the 7k
area which sounds in the middle range considering the condition of the
trailer and what your final asthetic considerations are. What about the
other costs?  What is your expected time frame to get this trailer on
the road. How much time can you spend on this project and how will it
affect other parts of your life. Will it provide a stress relieving
distraction or help add to it. Married with children?  Can you do this
now?  I think you are talking years to get this trailer in usable
service from the sound of it's overall condition. That may be OK as long
as you realize the timeline. This is not going to be an immediate
gradification project.
I own a 62' Safari. Which I have named Sylvia. Now if you will picture a
sophisticated "mature" woman with specific needs that she has developed
over many years from being a member of a "special class." Mrs Robinson
comes to mind from "The Graduate" I know a younger Sylvia would be a
heathier choice, but my Sylvia has other needs that cannot be denied.
Because of her cool exterior patina that has withstood all of the harsh
realities of nature, along with that understated inner style, it was
first difficult to imagine how much effort it would take to bring out
that former LUSTer of a time gone by. But just below the surface of all
those harsh realities rest the kind of character that is difficult to
find in younger models. Sylvia has NEEDS. Most of the time they seem to
be very mysterious desires, hidden in some unseen place just below the
surface. Should I look there? Start peeling back that surface to expose
things I may not be able to handle? Or, should I carefully ask a few
questions from others who have also been suduced by the same desire.
This relationship is not for the unprepared. One must have or acquire
the "tools" to handle many of the adjustments and modifications that
will be asked of you. One must develop the vocabulary neccessary to be
understood by others that may be able to help guide you. You must allow
for "space" when needed as we all know we need a space to call our own.
Are you prepared to field questions from curious friends and neighbors
about where you are spending all of your free time and money? Some
people will not understand. They will assume you have finally have
confirmed what they suspected all along. I have discovered there are
many things I was unprepared for, and yet, I was driven to acquire and
provide them to Sylvia. Sylvia has my number. Be careful what you
desire.
Gary Campbell
1962 Safari
wbcci 3363