[VAL] Tires

on 10/25/03 2:00 AM, valist-admin@tompatterson.com wrote:
Lynn,

Two caveats:

1 - Your trailer weighs between 4-5,000 pounds (my '67 22' weighs 4,450 #'s
on the truck scales) so make sure the "carrying capacity" of the tires you
buy will cover that amount and then some.  I'm using 8 ply light truck
tires, but there are other choices.

2 - Before you plunk down money, it's prudent to make sure the tires and
rims will fit. There have been several occasions where owners went out and
bought tires with the intention of installing themselves only to find they
could not squeeze them into the wheel well.

Do you want to learn first hand how cooperative a tire dealer can be when
you bring back a new tire that's all scraped up on the side wall?

Until you have settled on exact tires and rims, this might better be one of
those jobs where the tire dealer is in charge of deciding which tires and
rims to provide, followed by him doing the actual installation.

It far, far preferable when you can stand around and watch him struggle
until he decides to order different tires or rims or both.

As with most puzzles, allow the evidence to speak for itself before jumping
to conclusions.

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net