[VAL] Solar

Hi Linda,

Here's the data you asked for. I've blended it with your note.

New topic. Although many of us in this discussion group are heavily into
restorations, some of us are also serious travelers who roam widely
throughout the year. That means occasionally, we pick up and read our email
once or twice a week (instead of daily).  Replies from us may not be as
prompt as from those at their home desk.

Terry

---------------

on 10/17/03 5:59 PM, lindakline@mac.com wrote:

> Hi there - just read your posting and was wondering -
>
> 1. where is the airstream classifieds with the 300 listings you mentioned?

Go to the Vintage Airstream Club home page. Find it by going to Google.Com
and entering the keywords > Vintage Airstream Club, or going directly to the
site by typing in the url > http://www.airstream.net/index.html

Once on the home page, click on the classifieds. Then, choose the year of
Airstream you'd like to find. Today, the list is less than 300.

You can still find 300+   --  but not all in the same place. To do that,
go to Google.Com and type in key words > Vintage Airstream Classifieds,
where you'll find such URLs as http://jcarey.com/vintageairstreamlinks.htm
with pages and pages of classifieds.

It took 10 seconds for Google.Com to find 3,270 URLs with the key
words Vintage Airstream Classifieds. I'm certain that 300 is a severe
under-estimate of what's available this afternoon.

> 2.  Could you email info on the solar?  We have solar hot water for our home
> (have had it for 23 years) and WHEN we get an airstream, we would like to have
> solar for the batteries like you mentioned.

Go to Google.Com and type in tompatterson.com tylerbears solar. That will
bring up 127 of my articles showing a reference to solar. Within that group,
you'll find the four handouts. Their URLs are >

1 = http://tompatterson.com/VAC/MHonArc/2002_11/msg00106.php

2 = http://tompatterson.com/VAC/MHonArc/2002_11/msg00107.php

3 = http://tompatterson.com/VAC/MHonArc/2001_02/msg00338.php

4 = http://tompatterson.com/VAC/MHonArc/2002_11/msg00108.php

If the URLs don't work for you, but your computer can pull up other URLs,
then Tom is the man to ask for help. All of them worked for me today.

In the meantime, you might want to read a few of the 127 postings just to
get a general feel for what I'm suggesting and what we've experienced.

A most useful thing to do is contact Noel Kirkby at www.rvsolarelectric.com
and ask him to send the free solar planner. Before you make decisions,
you'll need that data for guidance. Use his 800 number if you'd rather talk
to a person. It's 999.8520.

> Is solar available for anything else on the trailer or is it not practical?

Linda, in my opinion, anything which can be operated off 12 volt batteries
is fair game.

For such appliances as tv, computer, printer, pda, bread maker, vacuum
cleaner, battery charger for the electric drill batteries, VCR & DVD players
and anything else with similar power requirements, we use a 1300 watt
inverter that changes 12 volts to 110 volts.

There are higher wattage inverters available, i.e. 2500 watts - for those
wanting more versatility and who are willing to carry the weight of four
batteries.

On the other hand (in my opinion), there are appliances that gobble power
like there's no tomorrow.  We don't use our batteries and inverter to
operate our air conditioner. It's just not practical.

Some folks operate their microwave off an inverter (we don't). Nor do we
operate appliances which create heat as their primary function (toaster oven
or electric fry pan). Propane is more cost effective.

> We are new to the list and looking for a 16-229 to restore.

If I were you, I'd dig around in the archives (tompatterson.com). There's a
wealth of information on specific features of this size Airstream, including
pictures and more pictures and more pictures. Use key words to find whatever
interests you.

Give yourself a week or two and you'll know the exact floor plans that spark
your interest. Plus, you'll know exactly what to carry in your pockets when
you walk into each Airstream with a For Sale sign in the window.

> Thanks for your help.

Linda, as you go along, keep posting questions or comments on the list. You
don't need to reinvent the wheel. There are thousands of subtleties known by
hundreds of us that will be freely shared just by you asking. Restoring is a
hobby we enjoy and our enthusiasm includes sharing what little we know.

Terry

mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net