[VAL] '78 brochure discussion

whoa, didn't mean to start a brew-ha-ha.  this 20-25 debate will make
for a great discussion at the next ice cream social.  i'm sure it's
pretty apparent that katy and myself getting into airstreaming has been
all consuming.  when i'm not working on our unit, i'm thinking about
working on the unit.  when i'm not think about working on it, i'm
reading the wonderful discussions that happen here and on other
airstream lists.

one thing i can't exactly put my finger on is...why i like owning a
vintage airstream so much.  leading up to our purchase i had been
bidding feaverishly on ebay for an older unit -- mainly because of our
limited cash on hand.  and for some strange reason it was going to be an
airstream or nothing.  can't rightly explain that one either.

when we kept getting beat in the bidding process - kate and i actually
considered buying a new one.  i'm sure you've all heard the pitch -
little down and $400 a month (or less) for the next 15 years.  i guess
they do 15 years so your trailer isn't already a classic when you
actually own it outright.  we came close to buying a new one, as i
really like the new international (blue interior).

THANKFULLY, i saw an ad at airstream.net in the nick of time.  made the
call and we were proud owners of our excella 500 twenty-five hours
later.  guess what, i'm now $400 richer every month.  actually not.
i've put more than that into it in the two months we've owned it.  but
hey,  once it's fixed up to our liking we won't have any payments.  that
will leave plenty of cash to hit rally's with.

speaking of rally's - just read about the mexico-central america trip in
the new issue of Trailer Life.  That sounds like a great time.

Now to really piss everyone off - i'm going to bed and will relish the
yankees ALCS victory tonight as i fall asleep.  six trips to the big
show in eight years!  woo-hoo!

--dave