[VAL] Heater 22' Airstream

Hi Lynn,

This reply is to an earlier posting I'm just reading for the first time.
We've been out of the loop for almost a month (rally and caravan) and email
has piled up.  It will take me another month to catch up. That means my
replies may be out of synch with current discussions.  I hope everyone will
bear with me.

We've had a '67 22' Safari for years and years. It is now completely
restored inside and out (including a mirror shine). Today, we're in northern
Michigan on the Lighthouse Caravan. For two weeks, the overnight
temperatures have been ranging from 32 to 39 degrees and raining. During the
day, the high temperatures have been ranging in the upper 40s and raining.
Nearly every day, Lake Michigan has had white caps and crashing waves.

Are these temperatures somewhat akin to what you had in mind when you asked
for suggestions? If your answer is "Yes," then read on. If "no," then skip
the remainder of my comments.

First a short perspective paragraph on our experience with heaters, down
sleeping bags and specialized thermal clothing.

My wife and I have been camping enthusiasts since the early 1960s. We tented
for 10 years (before having children); we used a tent trailer for 10 years
(after having children) and most recently (last 20 years), we have used a
travel trailer interspersed with a back packing tent and mountain climbing
gear (while I climbed the 46 high peaks in NYS - half of them during the
winter in deep snow with temperatures in the teens and lower).

Now to the nitty gritty. In our 22' Safari we have a Holmes electric cube
heater. It has a 750 watt and 1500 watt setting. For the last 13 of 14 days,
our campground had electricity and we used the 750 watt setting exclusively.
We don't use the 1500 watt setting because the cube's metal shell gets too
warm (not hot) for our preference.  We DO run the electric cube heater while
sleeping.

In our 22' Safari we have a second heater. It's an Olympian 6100 Catalytic
Heater with three settings (low, medium & high). Every day for the last 14
days, we have used it each morning and evening on the low setting - except
for the one day and night with no hookups. During that 24 hour period, the
medium setting was used in the evening before we went to bed, the high
setting was used for the first half hour in the morning and the medium
setting was used for most of the day.  We did NOT run the catalytic heater
while sleeping.  That night, we supplemented our sleeping bags with a fleece
blanket, a thermal watch cap and thermal socks (www.campmor.com).

Like most Airstreamers, we try to be prepared for cold weather during any
month of the year. As Snowbirds, we often winter in warm areas of the
country with our 32' Airstream. Sometimes those locations can turn cold
unexpectedly. One January in Brownsville, Texas, we experienced an entire
week where the temperature stayed below freezing day and night (25-27
degrees) with blustery wind. That year, we used the high setting on our
Catalytic Heater and pointed two electric heaters into the bowels of our
trailer where the water tank, waste tanks, water pipes and drain pipes are
located.

For us, the name of the game is solid options for varying conditions.  We
choose not to limit our travels nor restrict ourselves by skimping on the
equipment needed to keep us comfortable. What works for us may or may not be
needed by those with different needs, wants and desires. Each has to decide
for themselves.

Your comment about having the furnace out prompts my next remark. Although
you didn't ask, I know of some Vintage Airstream owners who installed a
house window a/c on the floor where the furnace used to be located. For
ventilation, they created the same type hole used under the refrigerator
during vintage years.  This can be an elegantly simple solution to avoid
adding weight above the roof, plus the cost can be 1/4th or 1/5th of a roof
air conditioner. There are descriptions of how this has been done in our
Vintage Airstream archives.

For those interested in a Lighthouse Caravan, I'll post the URL when it's
completed and ready for viewing (November-ish).

We're having a grand time. Our caravan schedule is often too exciting for me
to even open my laptop at night. We just want to fall into bed and be ready
early the next morning the day's adventure.

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net