[VAL] Re: VAL Digest V1 #5 - Michelin tires

No experience with Michelin TRUCK tires, but years back when I was foolin' with
Citroens I was well impressed with the Michelins (XAs) they always had on them. They
usually didn't even need any balance weights - at the auto mech class I took I put them
on the tire bbalance machine and they were always within 1/4 ounce of balanced, whether
new or old worn ones.
When I replaced with Generals on a (Citroen) SM one required 4 ounces of weights, the
others over 3 ounces. I complained and was assured that they were all within General's
allowance for weights.
Phooey! The thickness of the rubber, etc. must have been really uneven. They weren't
real concentric, either. And these were "H" rated (130 mph) tires, too, not the regular
bottom-end Generals.
The only catastrophic failure I ever knew of with a Michelin was a really old one, all
checked on the sidewalls, that shredded at high speed under overload.
Make sure your front end joints, alignment and shocks are in good condition before
spending on expensive tires! Michelins will wear out fast, just like any other tires,
with loose front end and alignment.
Al Grayson