Re: [VACList] Re:General info on jacking/changing tire

Jo Ann:

   Your 1957 Bubble uses spring leaves for suspension, so
here's a suggestion that I use on my 1947 Wee Wind, which
has suspension similar to yours.   Assume your new belly pan
has been installed.

   Around the house I use a floor jack, but first place a
piece of 1 foot square plywood on the jack's round lift
plate and place an old pillow on top of the wood.  I line
the jack lift plate up underneath the frame cross member
just inside the rear leaf spring hanger, then slowly raise
the floor jack.   The wood and pillow topping spreads the
force of the jack across the bottom of the belly pan,
cradles the trailer while it is raised, and diminishes the
damage done if you miss the cross member.

  I would also use the 1 foot square piece of plywood and an
old pillow on top of a bottle jack on the road, along with
another square piece of wood underneath the bottle jack to
discourage it from sinking too far into the ground.

  Once you new belly pan is installed, mark where the
crossways frame member is that attaches to the rear springs
rear hanger.  You can see it by looking at the rear of the
wheel well.   Hope this helps.

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO.