RE: [VACList] Seeing Tailgaters Behind a Vintage Airstream

Greetings Amanda!

If you are planning to keep the truck for several years, it is possible
to add an air conditioner that will appear nearly stock to the casual
observer.  If you check the "collector truck" or "collector car"
publications you will find at least two vendors that specialize in
retrofit air conditioner kits for vintage trucks and cars.

<<I wouldn't mind having power windows, either - with how wide my truck
is, <<once I get going down the road, I can't make any adjustments on
the <<passenger side.

As with the retrofit air conditioners, it is quite possible to add
electric windows and door locks that will appear and function as the
stock units.  I had both of these modifications completed on my '75
Pontiac several years ago and the result was quite satisfactory.

<<One question I have is whether anybody has a mirror setup that lets
you <<see tailgaters. The way my mirrors are, there's a blind spot
immediately <<behind the trailer.

While it might not be possible with the Safari (I am more familiar with
the TradeWind/Overlander models), with many of the Vintage coaches it is
possible to open the drapes on the front and rear windows (being sure
that the bathroom door/drape and bedroom door/drape is secured in the
open position) and see out the rear of the trailer using your truck's
interior rear view mirror.  I have enjoyed this feature on my '64
Overlander since purchasing it in '95 - - for a little added safety, I
replaced the front window with Lexan when it cracked on one trip.  My
plan is to replace the solar gray material in the center section of my
Minuet's rock guard with clear Lexan so that I can take advantage of the
same feature in my '78 Minuet 6.0 Metre.  The only down-side is that
this feature doesn't work with my Vintage tow cars as both of them sit
too low to see through the front window - - it works beautifully with my
K2500 Suburban as well as my previous K1500 Z71 and '84 Jeep Grand
Wagoneer.

Kevin

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359