Re: [VACList] Olympic Rivets and Water Leaks

Lexxy or Lynn
I can comment on the tool used to trim the center post that remains after
using the Olympic rivet as I have used one quite a few times. The Rivet
Shaver tool is available through a few sources but the one I used was
purchased from AirstreamDreams. It's not cheap, but it is a well made tool
and what it does just can't be duplicated by any other means. My
recommendation is to go in with a friend on the purchase price and share the
shaver. Its not something you'll always be using and it makes more sense to
share the wealth, so to speak.

As for applying Vulkem when using the Olympics, I apply a generous supply
all around the shaft of the rivet and not to the hole. Once I have put the
rivet in and pulled it tight, I wipe off the excess with a paper towel.
After a few hours of set-up time, I go back and do a better job of clean up.
I also trim the center shaft with a wire cutters and use a cut-off wheel on
my Dremel and shave the remaining shaft down until it is just above the
rivet head. This makes using the Rivet Shaver much easier. I also noticed
that you do not want to used the Shaver at high speed. Works much better
with a battery powered drill.

Hope this helps.

Brad