Re: [VACList] Dura-Torque Axle on 1960 Pacer?

RJ,

You seem to have provided the definitive answer to this question.
Thanks to everyone who responded!  Based on everyone's input, it looks
like we are about ready for a new axle.

Various criteria for worn-out-ness seem to be anywhere from the trailing
arms being level under load to 5 degrees upward.  Ours still show a
little down angle under load, although nothing like the 20 degrees that
you describe for a new axle.

We are signed up for the Region 7 Vintage Rally in Wisconsin in
mid-July, so I think I am going to assume that the axle will get us
through the summer and then see about getting a new one this fall.  Like
you say, the improvement in ride would justify a new axle even if the
old one would soldier on longer.  Incidentally, I was amazed at the
condition of the brakes when I pulled the drums--practically like new.
Bearings likewise.  I suspect the former owner didn't use the brakes
much.

Best,
John Sellers
WBCCI/VAC 1587