[VACList] Re: shower enclosure

Joann - you mentioned that a new factory enclosure would cost $875
plus shipping.  In fact - that does not sound too expensive for something
that is ready made (though your installation would no doubt require some
type of custom adaptation).  My thought is that in today's economic
environment - even if you built everything at home from scratch - by the
time you'd made a number of trips to the hardware store - and plumbing
store and bought some new tools for the project etc...(and consider the/your
time element involved) you'd probably spend that much - so in fact
in the broader sense - $875 is probably not all that expensive.

But - I appreciate your gut reaction to the price and your suggestion
that you are more interested in function that correctness.

There have been several interesting features in recent issues of the
VAC newsletter regarding trailer remodeling/redesigns.

Scott mentioned the use of wood used in the old Airstream showers - and you
suggested that it might leak like a sieve.  Keep in mind that wood has been
used in boats for ever.  I've seen a number of shower stall enclosures that
were in fact wood of one design or another. You might look into the various
types of "appropriate" woods and finishes available and the various type of
materials that could be used to paint, seal or cover it. The laminate choices
these days are almost unlimited - and the colors and designs (including retro)
available - that are stock and not custom - are pretty amazing.

Keep in mind that you won't be using it every day. And keep in mind - as
Scott mentioned that the shower pan could be fiberglass - as it is the area
that receives the most stress/weight - and it will be the most important thing
to design right - from the beginning.

Bottom line- just because the word "wood" is mentioned - don't write it off
until you've done some homework - as wood and waterproofing have come
a long - long way.

Keep in mind that this won't be cheap either - but almost nothing will be -
unless you are already in the business.  So it comes down to focus and budget
and priorities.

I have yet to tackle a trailer restoration - though I have two sitting and
waiting.  I think the reason I'm slow to start is all the years I've spent
working with car and boat restorations - and all too often I ended up with
parts spread all over the place... and a lack of focus (overwhelmed) as to
where to begin to put them all back into place.  So - I'm waiting for my focus
to "set" before I tackle the trailers...as I want to enjoy the restorations -
for the whole process - not just the finished product.

After years of cars and boats I eventually adopted a familiar
mantra...'if it isn't broken...don't fix it"!

When working on my last boat - I decided I "wanted" to completely re-do
the wiring - with the goal of having a 21st Century master panel with all
sorts of 21st Century electrical features and options all housed in a boat
built in 1935.
Well - I had several birthdays before that project was completed - and in
the end - due to cost and exhaustion it did not end up being what I'd hoped.
And...there really wasn't much wrong with the wiring in the first place - it
just needed a little housekeeping/updating - it did not really need an
extensive redesign to be functional and reliable.

Good Luck and my best wishes that you enjoy the "whole" process. RL