Re: [VACList] Re: Towing with F-250 PS

Hi Molly,

I'm also an owner of a '02 F250 super duty crew cab, but with the short bed.

Just wanted to say that I definitely know that the trailer is back there.
Maybe on very smooth blacktop road surfaces on the level I could agree with
"not knowing it's back there".  However, under rather usual road conditions
the trailer puts special handling and ride parameters into the tow vehicle.
This occurs with either my Hensley or a straight coupler.  The Hensley is
towing a 22' Argosy at 5800#s and a 14' covered utility trailer rated at
7000#s.  The utility trailer weighed in at 6000#s for much of the travel in
California over the Grapevine (I-5).  Towing was without overdrive on both
the up and downside.  Needed the overdrive off to hold the rig back at 60
mph without braking on the 6% plus grade.  The upgrade kept the turbo
cycling on and off and it seemed like I might be driving a locomotive.  The
turbo PS diesel kept the rig total weight of near 15K pounds moving at 60
mph up the grade and 13 mpg for the run from Vallejo, CA to Corona, CA.

I definitely KNEW that there was a load on the truck.

With a thousand pounds less in the trailer between Corona and Lake Charles,
LA, I still knew that the trailer was back there.  When I made the plowed
trail called I-10 in Louisiana, there were times I thought I was riding a
bucking bronco - again, I REALLY KNEW THE TRAILER was back there.  Made a
similar trip with the Argosy and the Hensley with identical "jacking" and
the corresponding bucking bronco like ride.

I will say that I didn't experience any sway from trucks or those high winds
in California, AZ, NM, or TX.  Just the annoyance of the rough roads.

Nope, I wouldn't tell anyone that the trailer wouldn't be noticed behind my
puller! :)

                           Regards, '69 Safari, Joy