[VACList] Re: VACList Digest V3 #213

Hello Chuck,
I am in the process of installing a Standard water heater ten gallon gas/electric
with electronic spark in my 62' Safari. My Safari is a double and has the
sofa/bed in the middle section on the street side. The original water heater was
a Bowden. I was worried about how much retrofitting would have to be done to
reuse to original outside vent, but it looks like with an additional added piece
of metal to vent and protect the top edge of the trailer wall will be added
security for the venting and heat. As for the actual housing that fits to the
outside and faced flush with the side of the trailer, that was a little too close
for comfort. The rough out is supposed to be sixteen and three eights inches
square. I had several inches of play on the sides but no extra space top and
bottom. After trimming the extra aluminium from the top of the opening I was
right up against the cross beam support which runs the length of the body. I
could see how cutting that would alter the strength of that large expanse and
potentially allow that area to sag out or buckle. I decided it would be better to
alter to water heater housing by slightly and carefully bending down the housing
lip on top and bottom. It just fits. clearing the support beam very tightly. It
also just fits the interior with maybe some remodeling of the inside of the couch
frame. I also did all of this work from the inside after removing the couch/bed
frame, water tank and old bowden. It would have turned the stryrofoam cover into
packing material had I tryed to push it in through the outside. I planned to run
the new flooring under the water heater, but there is not enough space even for
tiles. Next I have to figure out what power source with ignite the spark! Hope
this helps.
Gary Campbell
62' Safari