[VACList] Furnace Repairs

Thanks to RJ's advice I reconstructed the inner/outer chimney configuration
on my passive heater(still not sure what brand). It now burns hot and clean.
There's been alot of talk lately about cheap replacemants and I'm so happy I
didn't take the advice to junk it. This heater is
clean,quite,hot,non-electrical and original (in concept if not actual
parts).
Two concerns I still have are;
      The chimney configuration runs slightly downhill toward the heater. My
concern is that rain water runs down the chimney to the heater which had
considerable rust damage.
       The fresh air (5") pipe gets hot on top. It's not hot enough to hiss
with spit, but too hot to touch. The bottom is relatively cool.
For both of these concerns I need to know whats normal.
Thanks,
Rick Langer
'66 GT #3847,VAC,TCT

P.S. If anyone has parts for these  passive heaters, please contact me
off-list. I need a firebox with a good exhaust flang.