Re: [VACList] Restoring an Airstream is not possible

Tim

     You could either use aluminum tape to cover the exposed styrofoam, or
get some roof flashing and cut section to fit over the styofoam then
aluminum tape the seams. Roof flashing is available at most hardware stores
and comes in rolls in various lengths and widths. Fairly cheap too.

>The area near the water pipe connections is not insulated at all.  Since it
>is an aluminum tank, won't that exposed area get very hot?

     It will only get about as hot as you have the termostat set to, so it
will not get extremly hot, unless you have the termostat set to max temp.
But it will still be around the same temperture as the water tank covered by
the cheap styrofoam.
     When I replaced my water lines with PEX, I used foam pipe insulation on
them for 3 reasons; 1) to provide additional protection from freezing during
winter camping trips, 2) to help keep the hot water in the lines warm, I
have kids and 6 gallons of hot water don't last long, 3) I thought it was a
good idea.

>I wonder how the modern suburban water heater is.

     My new Suburban water heater was/is covered/insulated with cheap
sytrofoam too.

>As far as trying to keep the rest of it nice, I am wrestling with making a
>new copper gas line to the heater.  The hardware store guys say they can't
>believe it uses copper, and suggested I use a flex line, which I purchased.
>But it says right on the package not to move it too much once its in place.
>So I don't think it should be subject to the vibration of a trailer.
>I modern trailers don't use copper gas lines, what do they use?

     New, modern trailers also use copper lines for LP. The LP lines are
exposed underneath the trailer. Not many people make routine checks of the
underneath of trailers, the rubber flex lines will deteriorate long before
the copper. About the only place you will find rubber/flexible LP lines are
where the LP tanks are, and theses are easily inspected and replaced when
needed.

fwiw
Bobby
'73 Ambassador