Re: [VACList] dump hose

Scott
I'm not sure how the dump connection on a '57 is supposed to be. Most all
the Airstreams I have seen have the Thetford dump valve which has 4 tabs
that your sewer hose connection will lock onto by twisting the hose
connection onto the fixed (stantionary) dump valve.
There is a Universal fitting that will adapt to the Thetford dump valve
which will allow you to use Valterra fittings and the Sewer Solution
(available from Camping World and other RV parts stores). I found that it's
a good idea to carry one of these universal connections just in case the
Thetford fitting on the hose gets broken. I had this happen back in January
and could not find a Thetford anywhere. Of couse it was on a weekend camping
trip and most part stores were closed, not that there were many around, but
I needed to hook up the sewer hose exspecially since my trailer doesen't
have a gray tank. I found a Universal one that works, but I ordered two new
Thetford ones once we got back home.
Now about the dump valve itself: If you do have a slip on type connection as
you said and want to change it. I personnally would go with the Thetford.
You've heard the adage "You get what you pay for", right? The Valterra will
cost about half the price of a Thetford, but I think you'd be replacing the
Valterra long before the Thetford one. When I first retired from the
military I went to work selling RV's, I learned alot about other brand
trailers and their parts, and learned alot from the full timers in SOB
trailers. When it came to the dump valves I noticed that they got replaced
pretty regular, which I thought was odd because the one on my '73 Airstream
was original. Well when it went south I installed a new Thetford. My
thinking is that I shouldn't have to replace that sucker again for at least
25-30 years.
Hope this helps in some way.
Bobby