Re: [VACList] summer desert camping

Since I live in Arizona, hot doesn't bother me too much, but our summer heat might get
some of you down.  It's mostly a dry heat, unless you get South of Interstate 40, then
the humidity picks up.

In the past two summers we have made a "loop" trip, from Mesa, AZ to Albuquerque,
then up to Estes Park, CO.  From there, South to Denver, West into Utah, and then South
through the Moab/Canyonlands area and on into the Navajo/Hopi reservation and then
home.

The weather has been great, there are lots of RV parks to stay at, and the only road
problem we had was horses on the road at night on the Reservation.  Luckily, one was
white and we had a few seconds warning, :-).

Avoid the KOA park in Moab....it's dusty and difficult to maneuver through.  The Cadillac
RV Park in Bluff, Utah is inexpensive, clean, and has a nice little lake by the sites.

If you travel West from Denver on I-70, take Utah 128 at Cisco and head South to Moab.
It's a great drive along the banks of the Colorado River.

From Bluff, UT you have the option of going South through Mexican Hat into the Navajo
Reservation and Kayenta, or Southeast to the Four Corners National Monument and on
to Shiprock, N.M.

You'll see a good bit of Monument Valley while you're at it.

Good luck,

Roger

Roger Hightower
1975 31' Sovereign