Re: [VACList] Tire inflation pressures

William -

IMHO - In order for the tire to provide the best safety margin
it needs to be at or near it's rated pressure.

It is the pressure which helps reinforce the sidewall.

Less pressure and your ride is softer but the sidewall
isn't supporting as much.

Uneven Tire wear and lower gas mileage is also an issue on under inflated tires.

For me upgrading from "C" to "D" on the trailer and "D" to "E" on my Excursion was
added ability AND safety.

As to manufactures suggested pressure, on my Excursion the "D" tires were rated
at 65# but Ford had a sticker that suggested 45#.   Ride was thus softer but the tire
wouldn't carry as much as it was rated for because it wasn't at or near it's rated
pressure.

My "D" tires at 45# before towing got almost 35,000 miles.  The "E"'s at rated pressure
have almost 55,000 miles and still have a lot of tread left.

Others on the list may have more scientific info to share.

My .02

Blair