Re: [VACList] Stripping FINISH

MagicBrad,

There is no reason you can't strip your Argosy. That's what I had done
to our '75 Argosy. I this area the gentlest strip method I could find.
The big concern is that most blasting methods are to hard on the
aluminum parts of the shell. The local resource I found used baking soda
as the blasting medium.  Even with that there were a few spots were the
aluminum was pushed in or roughed up. The painter was surprised that
metal was as soft as it was. Ultimately, he was able to smooth out the
metal before he painted it. It has been 2.5 years so far and everthing
is still tight.
I don't know were corn cobs are on the gentleness factor, but I passed
on sand and bead blasting before finding the soda blaster.
Once I had it stripped I took the opportunity to reseal all the joints
both top and sides with Vulkem and Gutter Seal. Because neither product
is paint reactive the three coats of polyurethane primer and two acrylic
final coats went on with no problem.
I strongly recommend that you use polyurethane for a primer, if you can.
It sticks like iron.
Charlie