RE: [VACList] twin to double bed conversion

Eric,
I did the conversion last year.  I made the curb side into a dresser and the
street side into a bed.  I made a base about the same size as the original
twin bed, but a little larger.  I put a full plywood top on the base then I
made another plywood piece with a front and two sides to slide over the
base.  I put legs on the sliding piece.  The bed is a little larger than a
twin without sliding out, and almost a large double if I pull it out to
within 10" of the dresser.  It is 76 inches long so it is plenty long for my
6' body.  I kept 10" clearance between the bed and the dresser so I could
get out from the bottom of the bed and get around it to get to the bath.  I
ordered dense foam off the internet for the base cushion and had two smaller
pieces made up for a back while it is fully closed.  The two pieces fill in
the gap when the bed is pulled to the open position.  I haven't gotten them
covered yet, but that is a small job.  If you want any more info or pictures
please let me know off list
Pete