[VACList] Replacing/Adding Capacitor ?

Have a question for the electrical guru's or someone having knowledge of
what I'm wanting to do.
If I have a bad capacitor can I just hook another capacitor to it?
Also does it matter which wire connects to which?
The reason I ask this is the wires on my capacitor, yes on my Armstrong AC
unit, doesn't match the color wires on the new capacitor.
The electrical guy at the place I bought it said it wouldn't matter as long
as both wires are connected, just wanting second opinion.
Thanks
Bobby
'73 Ambassador